Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Carbonation

Carbonation. We all know it happens. But do we talk about it much? Well, maybe beer geeks do.
I recently had someone on Google Plus circle me, found out I post about beer and food and quickly uncircle me. They were looking for more "Science" posts. But what happens in beer making IS science. The exchange of ions, the fermentation process. the transformation of proteins and sugars. Mmm...beer.
Ok, so I decided to take a little more "sciency...sciencey...science..ee...?" approach today. Lets talk about carbonation.
My beer is currently undergoing fermentation. The yeast that I put in the beer is changing sugars to alcohol. A byproduct of that is CO2. (Hey, can we find a scientific notation app for Blogger???)
Now note in the video that when we ferment, we allow that CO2 to escape.



Yes, I know, I know, "Why do you let it escape if you need the beer to carbonate anyway?"
I let the gas escape, because far too much CO2 would be produced and my whole bucket of beer would go...boom. It's what happens when you build up a lot of gas in a confined space. I don't want my beer to be evil, so, I set my CO2 free.
AFTER the fermentation has been done and I let the beer rest for awhile - it's hard work making alcohol after all, I then put the beer in bottles. In the bottles is a teeeny tiiiiny amount of yeast that was left in the bucket after fermentation. It's all I need. I add a measured amount of sugar to the bottles too.
Now what do you think happens when the yeast and the sugar come together in the same environment again? You've got it, they start cha-cha ing. Even as tired as that yeast is, it still has enough dance moves left to produce more CO2 even if it doesn't have enough to produce more alcohol. Just enough in fact, to carbonate those bottles nicely. Yes, the CO2 IS the carbonation that makes the bottle go HISS when you pop the cap off.
In the end, you have a lovely, bubbly bottle of ale or lager to enjoy at your leisure.






No comments:

Post a Comment